Wednesday 1 August 2018

Behind the scenes of being self-employed

I’ve been self-employed for years now, often while holding down a day job as well, and it’s surprising how many people can’t quite grasp how it works when the only person you have to answer to is, well, yourself! I think some people imagine it’s impossibly difficult, while others picture me slung in a hammock all day drinking Pina Coladas. I really wish the latter were true, although at present that only accounts for about 10% of my working week.

A coffee and cocktail break with a friend 

The big question: how do I stay motivated? That’s easy really, I enjoy my job and I take pride in what I do. I’m a driven person and can’t rest until a job is finished and finished well. That may make me sound a little eccentric, but I imagine most people who work for themselves would say they have similar qualities – the road to self-employment is not built on laziness.

Making things is a messy process! 

That said, I doubt many home workers would be quite as productive without their faithful kettle or coffee machine. I for one run on a combination of coffee and green tea at staggered intervals throughout the day. And, although I may end up working through the night when there’s a tight deadline, or over Christmas to help a client in a bind, there are also days when I can skive off to have fun when everyone else I know is stuck in an office!

Beautiful caffeine

I guess it all balances out one way or another. What my employed friends envy in my freedom, I envy in their regular wage. Personally, I love being my own boss and since the launch of my Etsy shop Inside Out Oatcakes I’ve been even quicker to jump to my desk (dining room table) in the morning and get straight to work.

All blog content and photos are Copyright of Charisse Sayers Proofreader & Copywriter www.charisse-sayers.com I welcome all feedback and would love to know your thoughts so please get in touch, comment, share, like and generally get involved – you can also find me on Etsy at ‘Inside Out Oatcakes’, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers