Friday 13 March 2015

How I made my own Harry Potter and Ron Weasley inspired matching jumpers


     Let’s face it, I love Harry Potter, I’ve name dropped the series more than once in my blogs, I’ve visited the Studio Tour twice, and it was only a matter of time before it permeated my sewing too. Now I already own a full blown Ravenclaw outfit complete with hooded cloak (it was a gift, don’t ask). 
Me in full garb at the Studio Tour

     This means that I didn’t need to make any of that, instead I turned to one of the sweetest bits in the book series, and that’s when Harry has his first ever nice Christmas. As we all know the Dursleys were all horrid to Harry, so his first Christmas at Hogwarts was probably the first one in his life he actually enjoyed, and all with his best friend Ron Weasley by his side.
The nasty little Dursleys

     A particularly poignant nod to Harry’s past unhappiness is his surprise at actually receiving any presents, and the best of these – invisibility cloak withstanding, because nothing can top that – was the homemade jumper from Molly Weasley.
Invisibility cloak when it malfunctioned
     This wasn’t something she’d chucked into her shopping basket on a trip to the local wizarding supermarket (‘Wandsrose’?), this was a jumper she’d spent time lovingly hand knitting for Harry, the boy whose own guardians basically ignored him. 
     Ron is embarrassed by his mother’s knitted creations but Harry appreciates the gift because it’s made with love, which means it shows that somebody cares for him. Having never known a loving family of his own, to be included in the jumper gang of his best friend’s family must have really meant something to him.
One of my favourite bits of the Studio Tour
     The image of Ron and Harry sat in the Gryffindor common room scoffing chocolates in front of a roaring fire, all snuggled up in their matching jumpers is one of my favourites from the first book, and I’m sure I’m not the first person who’s wanted their own knitted initial jumper after either reading the book or seeing the film, there was one problem however: I cannot knit. 
Cosy Gryffindor common room
     If I were on a sinking ship and the only way to survive was to knit a lifeboat then I’m afraid I’d be left in the water simply clutching my knitting needles and a ball of wool looking utterly confused. Trust me when I say that I have honestly, truly tried before too. Unlike sewing there’s no real margin for error – I can’t just patch something up later because if I make a mistake the whole thing might unravel! Plus, I don’t have the concentration or patience for it, it’s officially a lost cause. So instead I had to find a way to use my sewing skills to make my own Harry Potter inspired jumper. This is where the wonderful world of appliqué came in handy.
  • First I had to find some wobbly knitted jumpers that had that hand knitted look, with a nice thick marl effect wool. Luckily, I didn’t have to go far, Primark had some in stock for only around £12 each so that was lucky. I chose blue for me as I’m a Ravenclaw, and burgundy for my other half as he’s a Gryffindor (if you’ve not been sorted yet go on Pottermore and get sorted into your official house ASAP!). 
  • Next I went to Hobbycraft and found some large sheets of good quality felt, I was worried that too thin or cheap felt might disintegrate in the washing machine so it was worth paying a little extra to find a thicker felt.
  • Now to make the letter templates was very easy, I made the letters big and bold to get as much out of each piece of felt as I could. However, the felt colours that most closely matching each jumper meant that I ended up switching around who had which jumper, so mine was now the burgundy jumper with the dark pink felt. 
  • I decided to hand stitch the letters on as my little craft sewing machine had been on the blink for a bit and I thought the thick wool might cause it to have a temper tantrum so instead I carefully did a neat backstitch all round the edge of each letter and down the centre as well. To help the letters stay in position while I stitched I used a little fabric glue underneath to hold the letters flat, which was a great help.
    All the best families have matching Harry Potter inspired jumpers
     And there you have it, two Harry Potter inspired jumpers without any knitting in sight! I’m happy to report they’ve been through the washing machine a few times and the felt hasn’t budged at all so that’s brilliant as it was my main concern. It was really quite easy to do, and is one of those tribute projects that Harry Potter fans get straight away and everyone else just thinks my partner and I are edging slightly closer to becoming a parody of a 1970s sitcom. Mind you, I haven’t yet gone as far as making one for the dog though – I’m still working on that.

All blog content and photos are Copyright of Charisse Sayers Proofreader & Copywriter www.charisse-sayers.com I welcome all feedback and would love to know your thoughts so please get in touch, comment, share, like and generally get involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers